The Complete 1.e4. Chess Opening Essentials has exactly the right balance and is an accessible primer and a reference book at the same time.
It gives a flavour of how every opening works and explains the similarities with other openings, as well as the differences. In addition, it also points at the various middlegame plans that apply after the opening has ended.
Beginning and improving chess players should get this powerful book before they buy ANY other chess opening book!
*Helps beginners to develop a solid understanding of fundamental opening ideas
*Gives casual players the ability to choose the opening that suits their style and taste
*A tool for club players to test and review their opening repertoire
*A reference book to which advanced players keep returning
The authors do not propagate forcing tactical variations to be memorized mechanically, but explain what you should actually be trying to achieve when playing the opening of your choice. They include the main alternative responses and give clear indications for further study.
* Comprehensive: covers all main variations likely to arise
* Easy-to-use: important moves and key positions are highlighted in colour
* Long-lasting: it doesn’t outdate because it is about basics – not the latest fashions
* Complete: explains the plans and counterplans for both Black and White
* Down-to-earth: simple, verbal introductions (not a database dump full of dead trees)
* Convenient: every opening is illustrated with a number of instructive games